The Sohmer Piano Company built some of the finest pianos in American history. Sohmer was established in 1872 by Hugo Sohmer and K. Kuder when they purchased The Marshall & Mittauer Piano Company in New York. Sohmer was one of the largest and most prestigious piano makers of the 19th and early 20th Centuries, and they offered a full line of squares, grands, uprights, and player pianos. Sohmer was known for their use of elaborate woods and had a reputation for exquisite craftsmanship. Sohmer is one of only a handful of American piano manufacturers to survive and keep the company in the family throughout the 20th Century. Sohmer was sold to Pratt Reed & Company in 1982, then it was sold again subsequently. Sohmer was out of production for a few years in the 1990s, but the prestigious old name is being produced again today.