The Weber Piano Co. was established in 1852 by Albert Weber, a German immigrant, in New York. The firm built a full line of some of the highest quality pianos for well over a century. Weber was known for building expensive pianos, and they were marketed to a higher income consumer of the era. In the 19th century, Weber specialized in manufacturing top quality square grand pianos, but as the turn-of-the-century approached, they began putting more emphasis on upright and grand pianos to suit the public’s demand. By the late 19th Century, Weber was building some of the most expensive and elaborate pianos available in the industry. In 1903, Weber became part of the Aeolian Piano Co., which later became the Aeolian-American Corp. in the 1930s. Weber continued to be built as a higher quality piano throughout the 20th century. When Aeolian went out of business in the 1980s, the Weber name was purchased in 1986 by Korean firm, Young Chang. A year later, Young Chang licensed the name to Samsung, who continued to manufacture pianos for them in Korea and China. In 2004, after Korean rival, Samick, acquired controlling interest in Young Chang (along with the Weber name), the Weber Piano Co. was economically forced to cease operations. In 2005, following the demise of the Samsung licensed Weber, Young Chang took back the name.