This beautiful piano was manufactured in Paris in 1894, but it remains true to the mid-1900’s design that made these pianos a favorite of great pianists and royalty. Erard invented the modern piano action and the strings are ‘straight-strung”, giving the instrument a clear, singing sound not found on the modern piano. This piano is perfectly suited to the works of all the great composers from Beethoven to Chopin.
PTG Guidelines for the Restorative Conservation were followed in the restoration. The soundboard cracks were shimmed with 1/4-sawn spruce following a drying period that opened the cracks. A common museum treatment called “consolidation” was used on the original pin block, assuring that the original tuning pins will remain tightly in place. A new set of strings were made, carefully matching historically produced wire to this particular piano. The original layered hammers and action were solidly repaired and preserved. The leather hinges in the damper action and all the damper felt had to be replaced. The piano has a beautiful polished ebony finish; and the turned legs and fretwork music desk make it a classic.